Michigan has the potential to emerge once again as a bastion of acceptance and inclusion. Just as our state pioneered gender equality through forming some of the strongest labor unions on Earth that mandated equal pay for equal work, we can once again become a leader in creating a welcoming and open community for all. By working to embrace diversity and ensure that all people are treated equally, we can expand our economy and improve the quality of life for all residents.
- Tom will continue the fight to implement universal paid sick time for all workers as well as paid maternity leave for all women.
- Tom will work to prevent employers from asking job applicants for wage history, shattering a method that holds people back from being paid what they’re worth.
- Tom will vehemently defend the right of women to control their own bodies and healthcare, and will fight tooth-and-nail to protect the Right to Choose and to ensure medical procedures like abortion are covered by insurance.
- Tom will continue to stand up to defend all in our community from the racist assaults that Republicans are waging on Muslims, the Latino community, immigrants, and more. He will support legislation to make all of Michigan a ‘welcoming community’ and will vociferously oppose all forms of immigration bans.
- Tom will fight to end police brutality, calling for aggressive laws that target officers who abuse their authority, and implement a ban on the abuse of racist facial recognition technology by local law enforcement.
- Tom, a longtime supporter of the LGBTQ+ community, will continue his fight to ensure that protections for the entire community are enshrined in the Elliott Larsen Civil Rights Act.